[Tugindia] Some ideas for Indian TeX

Radhakrishnan CV tugindia@tug.org
11 Oct 2002 16:03:37 +0530

>>>>> "manjusha" == manjusha joshi <manjushasjoshi@hotmail.com> writes:

    manjusha> I am also interested in writing style files, work on
    manjusha> graphics+tex things.  We from Dept of Mathematics,
    manjusha> University of Pune, also interesting in font developing
    manjusha> using bezier curves.

    >>  Have you developed any fonts?  Or do you have any specific
    >> plans to do one?

    manjusha> We are searching for exact requirement.

I guess, you're a native Marathi speaker?  Why not you try to
accomplish the following:

1. a free Marathi MetaFont font in different sizes, shapes and
   weights.

2. a pre processor to use this fonts in normal TeX/LaTeX

3. a mapping scheme to input Marathi using Roman keyboard

4. Omega Translation Process (OTP) to integrate the fonts into Omega
   system which will facilitate multilingual typesetting, also it does
   away with the pre-processor

5. a decent documentation for the user

On the LaTeX front:

1. A package that can be used by the students and researchers of your
   institution to typeset their articles and dissertation
   straightaway.

2. A package that can include POVray code in LaTeX and will call the
   povray compiler to compile the code and include the graphic into
   the LaTeX document on the fly, something similar to 'pdftricks' in
   functionality.

    manjusha> We are arranging Lecture on POVRay at Dept. of
    manjusha> Mathematics, Pune university on 9th Nov.at 4pm by
    manjusha> Dr. Kaveh Bazaragan,U.K. which will confirm by
    manjusha> Dr. Bazaragan in couple of days. Interested persons can
    manjusha> send mails to manjushasj@math.unipune.ernet.in .

That is great! I heard about this event a while ago.

PS: If you don't mind, I have a suggestion: take care of the
    punctuation and spaces. As a TeX user, you should have an eye for
    finest typography!