[Tugindia] [Duvvuri Venu Gopal] Some ideas for Indian TeX

S. venkataraman tugindia@tug.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:09:24 +0530

	From the description of omega, I think the best hope for
multilingual type setting is omega. As CVR pointed out
	in response
	to one of my earlier messages, it is up to us to make the
effort.  As of now
	there is very little material available on omega.
	It probably needs some deeper understanding of plain tex, not
just latex.  I am not sure
	if I have it.
	 It was
	one of the topics of the tutorial sessions in tug2002. That's
why I was interested in the proceedings.  If
	it is not very expensive I would like to buy the proceedings.
>From when can I buy it? How much does it cost?
	 It is now possible to typeset in Greek(?)
	which is spoken by fewer people than, say, Hindi.
	The encoding is the biggest bugbear.  There was a conference in
Singapore
	where the use of computers for tamil was discussed.  They have
come up
	with an inscription which will be used as the standard.  I do
not know
	if it is compatible with inscript!

> · At present only one type face is available for each language. There
>   is a need to create different styles of fonts (a minimum of 5 for
>   each language with similar looking fonts in other Indian languages).
	Actually, one can use true type fonts in latex, atleast in
MIKTEX.  So, there is actually a large
	collection of fonts out there.  Of course, it needs some work.
There is a
	link from the miktex home page to an article that explains how.
I was able
	to use english true type fonts in latex from the information
given there.  I suppose the
	same information with some modification for true type fonts in
other languages.
	Of course, one has to worry about the copyright problems.  We
can do this only
	with free true type fonts.  The fonts made available by
magazines in their web pages
	are subject to copyright restrictions.  I know there
	are tamil true type fonts that can be freely used. Again, I
haven't found time to try this out!
	Will this work in LINUX? Only the linux experts can tell?
> · The main task is popularization of TeX. It is interlinked with the
>   ability of TeX to typeset documents in Indian languages. It is
>   essential because people should not find it impossible to do
>   something in TeX due to which they have to switch for other
>   softwares.
	Absolutely!  I do not know the exact statistics.  My gut feeling

	is that more and more people are empowered by tex/latex.  The
effect
	Indian tex would be the same.