[Tugindia] Some ideas for Indian TeX

H.S.Rai tugindia@tug.org
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:57:02 +0530 (IST)

>    There  should  be  efforts  to standardize  the  TeX  for  Indian
>    languages. .... Suggestion: We may  adopt the scheme developed by
>    C-DOC for inputting Indian languages  using English key board (in
>    iLEAP)

Very   right. We  need   standardization  if   we  want   results  and
efficiency. To make one and one  eleven. Though a little off beat with
respect to this  thread, but IMO unstandardization  has made different
bibliography style incompatible  to eachother and such  type of things
don't bear  desired fruit. This  require all developers  working under
one umbrella with one framework.

Now, I like to share my ignorance  and wish. I don't know how input is
given for indian  language using english keyboard. But,  ideally, if a
Hindi typist  who is expert  using conventional type writer  can enter
data without any reorientation is  best. The letter should also appear
in Hindi on console. This may be  outside the scope of TeX programmer.
But there is  "Localization of Linux" and it may  be job of "operating
system" developers. If that is the case, then close coordination among
these two developers is also essential. IIRC there was a project Indix
under TDIL. Can TeX be benefitted from this effort?

>      and put them on the TUG  website as .pdf documents. We may also
>      write articles in Indian languages and publish them in computer
>      magazines  published in  Indian  languages (as  far  as I  know
>      computer magazines are available in Hindi and Telugu).

In  addition to  computer  magazines and  some  suppliment related  to
computer, we should also try to write in non-computer magazines and in
general  reading  section. Because  I  think, a  major  proportion  of
readers, just skip such sections and we miss a large audience.

>    If all goes on well we can distribute IndicTeX.

Excellent.

--
H.S.Rai