[Tugindia] math environment

Manoj Kummini tugindia@tug.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:07:32 +0000 (GMT)

 --- H S Rai <hsraidce@iitr.ernet.in> wrote:

> Today at 1:00pm +0530 Baskaran wrote:
>
> >   \max_{c,v} works well.
>
> I tried above,  it did not worked well and  produced c,v as
> subscript,
> while following produced correct results.
>
> >   > $\mathop{\max}\limits_{c,v}$

In inline statements, the limits appear as subscripts; otherwise,
there will be a big gap between the current line and the next. You
can see this effect in a big paragraph with the above two inline
expressions in it.

AMS Guidelines for LaTeX recommends that one uses
\DeclareMathOperator for defining new operators, and when such
operators are used inline, the limits will appear as subscripts and
not below the operator name.

Manoj.

=====
--