[Tuglist] doubt for breaking vboxes

David Kastrup tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 23 May 2002 13:19:15 +0200

Sorry for the lack of page references, I am replying to an archive
message:

Radhakrishnan wrote:

    On Thu, 2 May 2002 at 16:53, Baskaran wrote:

       I define an abstract command within a vbox for specified width.
       There is no problem, if the abstract text less than page height.
       if the abstract text greater than the page height, it could not
       flow page by page. Could we break the vbox and flow the text page
       by page within a vbox as normal text flow

    Yes, it is quite possible.

    It works in the following way:

    1. Typeset the abstract material with the given width in a box
       (assume it is \box0).

    2. Measure the height of the box.

    3. If it is greater than \pagegoal, make a \vsplit exactly at
       \pagegoal to create \box1.

    3a. Typeset \box1

    3b. Typeset \box0

    4. If less than \pagegoal typeset \box0.

    Does this sound helpful? Try this and if you find problems, please
    get back. I intentionally hold back the LaTeX code to do the job, so
    that you can try yourself to write the code first.

This sounds much too complicated.  It will probably be easiest to
just do
\unvbox0

This unpacks the box in question and places its material on the
current page.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de