[Tuglist] for loading tiff file without specify the height an d width

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
Fri, 3 May 2002 09:06:46 +0530 (IST)

On Fri, 3 May 2002 at 08:19, Baskaran wrote:

   I want to know about pdfTeX and pdfLaTeX.  I don't know whether
   these are style files, or software application. Where will I get
   it?  Could you please give me the information.

pdfTeX is a TeX variant written by Hanh The Thanh which is exactly
like Knuth's TeX compiler, the only difference being it writes to a
pdf file instead of the usual dvi. It can also write to a dvi if you
want, provided you give the option \pdfoutput=0. The default is
\pdfoutput=1, which means the output is pdf format.

It is available at all the CTAN servers and the mirrors. The version
I use is (which is relatively latest):

  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20010806 (Web2C
  7.3.3.1).

Are you working for a text processing company? If yes, you have
limitations of using pdfTeX, for, most of the publishers have
specifications for their pdf's which may not necessarily be possible
to generate with pdfTeX. Your clients will force you to use
Distiller instead.