[Tuglist] placing more figures on a page

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 2 May 2002 11:17:26 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 1 May 2002 at 18:07, M K Saravanan wrote:

   I want to place 8 figures on a two col. page like:

   f1	f5

   f2	f6

   f3	f7

   f4	f8

   But I am getting f7 and f8 on the next page only though there is
   enough space on the first page.  How to control the vertical
   space between two figures?

Two ways:

1. Stack all the figure graphics in a single figure environment if
you have only a single caption for all:

\begin{figure*}
 \includegraphics[opt]{f1}\hfill \includegraphics[opt]{f2}\\[6pt]
 \includegraphics[opt]{f8}\hfill \includegraphics[opt]{f8}
 \caption{...}
\end{figure*}

2. If you have different captions, you need to reduce various
separators and floatfractions to accommodate all figures in a
single page:

\setlength\floatsep    {12\p@ \@plus 2\p@ \@minus 2\p@}
\setlength\textfloatsep{20\p@ \@plus 2\p@ \@minus 4\p@}
\setlength\intextsep   {12\p@ \@plus 2\p@ \@minus 2\p@}

The above are the default values, change to suit your need. Also the
following would also help:

\renewcommand\floatpagefraction{.99}