[Tuglist] Breaking a line

David Kastrup tuglist@tug.org.in
20 Jun 2002 10:58:34 +0200

Nagesh Kini <kini_tug@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> Respected members of the list,
>
>  This is not directly related to latex.
>
>  I use vi for writing latex input files. When there is
> a loong line which appears on the screen to have
> spread over several lines it is not possible to move
> across and down the apparent paragraphs (which is in
> fact one single line) using "j" and "k". I have to use
> "h" and "l" which is a tedious process.
>
>   Earlier when I was working on a redhat 6.0 machine a
> pair of slashes "\\" at the end of the apparent
> paragraph used to spilt the line to many single lines
> depending on the width of the screen. Now I am on a
> WOWlinux machine. This option is not there. Could you
> please help me?

Don't use long lines like that, split them by hand into proper lines
(this will not influence line breaking in LaTeX).  Make your sources
manageable.

If I remember correctly, something like
:set wm=8

or so will tell vi that it ought to wrap lines automatically when it
gets 8 characters close to the margin upon text entry.

Of course, I'd prefer Emacs myself...

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de