[Tuglist] Environment slide in pdfscreen.sty

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
12 Jun 2002 16:19:17 +0530

[...]

    David> There is an argumentless macro \@ defined in _LaTeX_, and
    David> your \def replaces it with a different definition with a
    David> mandatory argument.

    >> I removed the line \makeatletter....\makeatother and reinserted
    >> the line
    >>
    >> \def\@captype{figure}
    >>
    >> in my code.

I'm sorry, the whole problem is fully attributable to my innocent
expectation that people will change the catcode of '@' character
before and after the definition, because the necessity of catcode
change in such situations has been discussed in this list
previously. And in all the fairness, I trusted Manoj to do that since
he knows the innards of LaTeX. Had someone else posted the query, I
would have obviously added the \makeatletter...  \makeatother.

    David> Why?  I explicitly explained why the \makeatletter was
    David> necessary, so why do you delete it?  And why do you make
    David> just the definition again for which I explained to you why
    David> and how it failed?

Please cool down David, after all this is a list of novices rather
than TeXies as you find in the tug.org lists. However, I must thank
you for your patience to answer all the questions, dont take anything
personally if at all any query seems too naive.

    David> If you insist on ignoring my explanations, you might also
    David> find this explained in the UKTUG FAQ, under the heading

    David> \@ and @ in macro names

    David> -- David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum Email:

Apologies for triggering something hot in a relatively cool list.