[Tugindia] Latex... some doubts ...

S.C.Phatak tugindia@tug.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:02:13 +0530 (IST)

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Nikhil Joshi wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I researched a little and found out that groff and Latex are great doc
> formatting (typesetting ?) tools. Also I discovered that mostly Latex is
> preferred over groff. Now I've learnt Latex a little. However the pdf file
> I create (with the help of dvips and ps2pdf) looks very crappy in acrobat
> reader. Ghostview however displays the thing quite well. Is this normal?

I think you could generate ps file which you can print on most of the
printers. You can also view it with gv ( ghostview ). I think pdf is
useful if you have to send the file as it is smaller than ps file.

> Most probably we would print the project on a Windows machine ( i guess
> very few DTP vendors have Linux as of yet :( ). One of my friends told me
> that pdf files do not print quite well as compared with Microsoft Word
> files. Is this correct?  I'm in a fix. I'm beginning to like Latex. But at
> the same time I would not like to face problems with the printing and
> stuff.

ps files print very well on laser printers. If you are going to dtp guys
for just printing, ps file will do. If you want to make a large number of
copies, still a ps file printed on good laser printer is 'camera-ready'
and can be used for making an image for large scale printing.

> Has anyone made his/her synopsis/report/article in Latex ? Is there any
> other good doc formatting system?  Please guide

Almost all reports, theses, manuscripts in physics ( and also mathematics
) are prepared by latex. Many publishers of journals as well as books now
want the manuscripts in latex with eps figures. If you ask me, nothing is
better for scientific publications.

Shashikant Phatak

	S. C. Phatak

	Institute of Physics			ph.(H)	( 0674 ) 301444

	Bhubaneswar 751 005  			email-	phatak@iopb.res.in