[Tuglist] Multimedia & pdfTeX

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
16 Aug 2002 10:08:45 +0530

[...]

    >> You need QuickTime installed on your machine to see this pdf
    >> file in Acrbat reader.

    Rai> Are you using MS windows? I guess Acrobat with Quicktime is
    Rai> not possible on Linux. There is no Quicktime for Linux.

Linux users can rely on \href{run:<shell script>}{link text} of the
hyperref package. This can lauch an external application to play your
audio or movie. teTeX in Linux has shell escape facility which can be
used to set the executable bit of the shell scripts written on the fly
by the pdfTeX compiler.

 \href{run:editmyfile.sh}%
   {\fboxsep5pt\fboxrule1pt\color{red}\shadowbox{Edit this file}}

editmyfile.sh can be created either on the fly by pdfTeX or
manually. If you create on the fly, please use the shell escape
facility to make the script executable.

 \write18{chmod +x editymyfile.sh}

By clicking at the link in the acrobat, my favourite editor
is launched with the file provided in the shell script.