[Tuglist] first book in devnagari LaTeX

Sanjeev Gupta tuglist@tugindia.org.in
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 02:24:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Ajay Shah wrote:

> Since we're trying to catch hold of history, here's a factoid --
>
> At CMIE <http://www.cmie.com>, a document was produced for the
> Ministry of Agriculture "a few years ago" (I don't remember exactly
> when). It involved tables that spanned facing pages. On the left hand
> page were row titles in Hindi. On the right hand page were row titles
> in English. The whole thing was done using TeX, primarily by Sanjeev
> Gupta <ghane@iname.com>.

2 points:
1
It was not just Row titles, but footnotes, et al.  In fact, reading just
the left hand side (even numbered pages), would be a complete experience,
if you knew Hindi/Devnagari.

2 I did the proof-of-concept, and the research, being the resident
LaTeX-man, but the actual man responsible for this was Nohez Poonawala
<nohez@cmie.com>.  If I am right, this would be when I was on leave to get
married, which would make it Oct 1996.

And just to nit-pick, we used LaTeX 2e, not TeX.  I hate TeX, I hate TeX,
I hate TeX.  By standing on the shoulders of giants, we can ignore
machine-code.

Nohez still works with LaTeX at CMIE.  Thanks to Ajay in the early 90's,
CMIE was producing exteremely well-layed out documents when others
struggled to maintain the same gutter on each page with GUI tools.

--
Sanjeev "ghane" Gupta                    Mob: +65 98551208
dotXtra Pte Ltd                          Fax: +65 5470260