[Tuglist] Malayalam TeX.

Mohit Agarwal tuglist@river-valley.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 08:34:35 +0530 (IST)

*** K N Manoj wrote in the TUGIndia list on 2001-05-23 at 21:21 +0530:

: I downloaded the Malayalam TeX available in CTAN. I tried to compile the
: preprocessor by using `make' with the makefile given. It gives the error
:
: makefile:9: *** missing separator.  Stop.

(1) In directory source/mm, change the makefile (for unix/linux):

---- <makefile> ----
CC = gcc

objects = mm.o readfile.o trs.o scr.o pstree.o avltree.o

mm.exe: $(objects)
        $(CC) -o mm.exe $(objects)
---- </makefile> ----

Note that there needs to be a tab character before $(CC) in the last line;
no tabs anywhere else.  `make' is slightly particular about such things.

(2) Line 72 of mm.c (same directory), change MAC to UNIX.

(3) Read the files `install' and `FAQ' before you start installing.  Read
the files in the `docs' directory after you've completed the install.  If
there are further problems with installing, let us know.

: I am not familiar with linux make so I am planning to leave out that
: option.

That won't help, certainly.

: Can I use the .tfm and the .mf files straight-away, without using the
: preprocessor?

No, I think.

: Is there some help on how LaTeX uses the fonts?

Yes, but you might to `leave out that option' since you're already not
aware of all that.  Anyway, you can take a look at

    http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq

Robin has updated that some 3--4 days back.  Otherwise you can also try
searching comp.text.tex archives at google groups:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.text.tex

Good luck!