[Tuglist] TUGIndia Home page

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@gnu.org.in
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:20:53 +0530 (IST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 at 03:09, Ajay Shah wrote:

   http://tugindia.gnu.org.in is very pretty. I assume you're

All the credit goes to Mohit Agarwal, the brave young man from
Indian Institute of Science <mohit@cfdlab.aero.iisc.ernet.in>, who
dared to maintain the CTAN mirror in India. He only send me the
pages to be put on the server here at my work.

   doing it using tex4ht? Could you make the source files
   available, as a tex4ht demo?

I guess Mohit used some other package to generate the pages.

   I looked in it, and all the `unique Indian content' that you
   would have, like the tutorial, or pdfscreen, are not there.
   Are these work in progress?

It is there in the `Quick Reference', items 2, 3 and 4 pertain
mostly to the Indian content, though it hasn't been highlighted. If
we intend to highlight the Indian content, obviously we might need
to do a lot of search at CTAN to gather all the packages contributed
by Indians. We can seldom overlook the contributions of people like
Sunil Podar (eepic), Tanmoy Bhattacharya (hypertex.tex from which
derived hyperref), TV Raman (audio rendering of LaTeX docs), et
al. As you can imagine, volunteers are scarce and those available
are hard pressed. But it might be a great help, if people could tell
us the packages contributed by Indians.

   > Home:     http://tugindia.gnu.org.in
   > Tutorial: http://tugindia.gnu.org.in/tutorials.html

   When one comes to http://tugindia.gnu.org.in it is not obvious
   that http://tugindia.gnu.org.in/tutorials.html might exist.

Mohit, could we solve the problem that Ajay finds? As the tutorial
is popular in some other parts of the world too (Wendy of Caltech
has written to me), we might provide adequately highlighted link to
the tutorial documents.

On 20th July, RMS will release the tutorial in a printable book form
(with detailed index, exercises, answers, etc) under Free
Documentation Licence. The book is going to be published by the Free
Software Foundation, Boston, although it is always available for
free download. TUGIndia would request TeXLive Team to release a
special TeXLive CD along with GNU tools, editors, tutorial docs, etc
to be distributed with the tutorial, commemorating the release and
the inauguration of the Indian chapter of FSF as well.

ps: The tutorial docs are also mirrored at:

    http://www.river-valley.org/tugindia

This might provide faster downloads and will not frustrate you with
occasional network problems that haunt IISc servers at times where
the tutorial docs currently reside.