[tug-support] Newbie questions

Roberto Sanchez sanchezr at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:44:11 CET 2003

Hi,

I am new to the list, and I am happy to be here.  I have been using LaTeX
for a short period of time (about 1 week now).

I am beginning to write my thesis this semester, and am following the
recommendation of some of my friends to write in LaTeX (becuase of the
trouble of keeping consistent style with a regular word processor).

I have done much searching and read many HOWTOs, tutorials, manuals,
webpages, and all that.  But there are a couple of things I cannot figure
out.

These are the questions that I have:

1.  How do change the chapter (and TOC, LOF, LOT, Bibliography) heading
style (font, centering, etc.) in the report document class?  I was able to
get the chapter headings to look  correct (the way that my university's
thesis guidlines specify) by doing this:

\chapter*{\protect \centering \LARGE CHAPTER TWO: \\STATE OF THE ART}
\addtocounter{chapter}{1}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{CHAPTER TWO: STATE OF THE ART}

This seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of the automagic TOC and all that,
but I can deal with that.  The problem is that I can't get the headings of
the other pages to change, as I indicated in the question.

2.  How to get a TOC entry for the List of figures, List of tables, and
Bibliography.  I was able to get around the problem with the abstract by
defining a custom page and doing this:

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{ABSTRACT}
\begin{center}
{\LARGE \bf{ABSTRACT}}\\[36pt]
\end{center}
... rest of abstract text here

I know this also defeats the purpose of the automagic features to some
degree.  I have tried adding an ]addcontentsline command just before or
after the \listoffigure, \listoftables, and \bibliography commands, but that
usually yields the number of the previous page or the following page.

I don't want to manually build and maintain a TOC, LOF, LOT, and
Bibliography, but I can't figure this or the heading format thing out.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any advice on this.

-Roberto Sanchez