[tldoc] New translation for TL: Brazilian Portuguese (pt.po)

Paulo Roberto Massa Cereda cereda.paulo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:17:53 CET 2012

Hi Norbert,

I did some tests with the new install-tl.zip and this is the output I
got in my first run:

--- BEGIN TERMINAL OUTPUT ---

PATH= [ think of a looooong entry :) ]

D:found lang codes value = 0416, lm =
pt-br;@%SystemRoot%\system32\mlang.dll,-4429...

  Sorry, no translations available for
pt_r;@%systemroot%\system32\mlang.dll,-4429 (nor pt); falling back to
English.
  Make sure that you have the package "texlive-msg-translations" installed.
  (If you'd like to help translate the installer's messages, please see
  http://tug.org/texlive/doc.html#install-tl-xlate for information.)

[ And the script ended abnormally, with no fallback to English ]

--- END TERMINAL OUTPUT ---

I didn't put the pt.po file inside the translations file, but the
script ended abnormally without falling back to English. I'll
investigate that later.

I took the liberty to check the area code which was getting more
bloated than usual. My attempt is as follows, I just rewrote the
substr call: (I'm still a humble Perl grasshopper, so please bear with
me. :P )

--- BEGIN tlpkg/TeXLive/TLWinGoo.pm ---

(line 276)
--- my $area = lc(substr $lm, 4);
+++ my $area = lc(substr $lm, 3, 2);

--- END tlpkg/TeXLive/TLWinGoo.pm ---

I added some output via print for me to check. My output with pt.po
inside the translations dir:

--- BEGIN TERMINAL OUTPUT ---

PATH= [ think of a looooong entry :) ]

D:found lang codes value = 0416, lm =
pt-br;@%SystemRoot%\system32\mlang.dll,-4429...
+++ Lang is pt ...
+++ Area is br ...
area is brcode is pt_br
D:translation: falling back to pt, not available: pt_br
Writing install-tl.log in current working directory.

--- END TERMINAL OUTPUT ---

And my output with pt_br.po inside the translations dir:

--- BEGIN TERMINAL OUTPUT ---

PATH= [ think of a looooong entry :) ]

D:found lang codes value = 0416, lm =
pt-br;@%SystemRoot%\system32\mlang.dll,-4429...
+++ Lang is pt ...
+++ Area is br ...
area is brcode is pt_br
Writing install-tl.log in current working directory.

--- END TERMINAL OUTPUT ---

It's now working like a charm. Now I'll try to investigate why the
fallback to English failed with me. :)

Cheers!

Paulo