[tldoc] texlive-en

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 14 20:42:48 CEST 2008

Siep Kroonenberg writes:
 > Uploaded `final' version of texlive-en. TeX source once more in 1
 > piece.

Hi Siep,
I just looked into it briefly.  One remark:

~/.profile is only executed for login shells, otherwise ~/.bashrc is
executed.  In most(?) cases ~/.profile contains a line:

  . ~/.bashrc

But all this is quite platform specific.  Setting up $PATH system-wide
is even more system specific.

IMO it's better to simply advise people to consult the manual page of
the shell they are using in order to setup $PATH properly.  It would
be nice to provide more information but I'm afraid it's too difficult.
Detailed instructions can also be confusing if things work differently
on a particular system.

Karl, you are the one on these lists who has the best overview.  WDYT?

It would be helpful to provide a hint how to find out which shell
people are actually using.  But I fear that even "echo $SHELL" will
not work everywhere.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25