Names for font family numbers

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue May 2 06:08:16 CEST 2023

Hi all,

After working with Philip's font size adjusting routine, I'm left with
the question of \textfont1, \textfont2, and \textfont3.

I know the trailing digits are numbers representing font families, but
I'd like to know what they're called. In a TeX script shown later in
this email, I got the following information:

FROM plain.tex:
itfam: 4
slfam: 5
bffam: 6
ttfam: 7
FROM amssym.tex:
msafam: 8
msbfam: 9
eufmfam: 10
FROM fontch.tex:
mibfam : 11
bsyfam : 12
ssfam : 13
cscfam : 14

So I'm still missing 1,2,3,15, and if they exist, 0 or 16. I grepped
everything in the TeXLive tree for the word newfam, but there were just
too many to thoroughly research. Could somebody please help me out by
telling me the family names for 1, 2, 3, 15, and if they exist, 0 or 16?

The TeX script I used to deduce the preceding name/number mapping
follows:

\input eplain
\input amssym
\input fontch