[texhax] eplain multicolumn

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun May 20 18:55:18 CEST 2018

Hi Rodolfo - I don't see any way to have different-height columns in
Eplain without rewriting most of the multi-column stuff. Since TeX's
page breaking is asynchronous, there's no obvious point at which
\vsize could be changed for the next column. For example, \@columnoutput
simply \divides the accumulated material by \@numcolumns. That would
have to be changed to do something else.

Perhaps it is possible in LaTeX; Eplain's multicolumn stuff is far more
simple-minded than LaTeX's. I essentially used The TeXbook's Appendix E
approach, and even then, as you know, there are plenty of edge
unusualstill not handled correctly.

For Eplain, I think you have to insert manual column breaks where you
want them, unless someone else has a bright idea. Sorry. --best, karl.