[texhax] Puzzle: bibtex working when it *shouldn't*!!! ???

Philip Taylor (RH-UoL) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue May 8 09:25:03 CEST 2018

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

 > Assume that you have a test.bib and a test.bib.bib in your folder.
 > Which one do you expect bibtex to use when you do
 > \bibliography{test.bib} ?
 > And which one will texlive really use?

Does not exactly the same situation/question arise with TeX ?  If one
has both "foo.tex" and "foo.tex.tex" in one's current directory and one
writes "\input foo.tex", which file should TeX \input ? Whichever it
chooses (and assuming that TeX's behaviour is consistent across all
platforms, as would be expected), then \bibliography should behave
identically.

For XeTeX under Windows 7 Enterprise (TeX Live 2018), and given

foo.tex = "\message {I am foo.tex}"
foo.tex.tex = "\message {I am foo.tex.tex}"

then \input foo.tex yields "I am foo.tex".

Philip Taylor