[texhax] How does VFlib process .GF and .PK bitmap file formats?

Ammar ul hassan ammar.instantsoft at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 03:46:19 CET 2018

Hi Karl Berry. Thank for your response
> FreeType doesn't support bitmaps directly, does it?

Yes FreeType doesn't support bitmaps directly. It takes an outline font and
rasterizes it into bitmaps internally (without creating an additional
bitmap file)

> So the real question is why you want to use mf instead of mftrace?

Actually with using mftrace in my current setup, the process looks complex
i.e. input .mf to FreeType,
send .mf to mftrace for converting it into any outline font (Type1 in my
case), then passing this newly
created outline to default FreeType driver modules, these driver modules
then do default working and
i can display styled fonts etc. Plus the main reason that i want to use mf
program is that i want to use it
 as an external program that inputs a bitmap file to FreeType, then
FreeType sends this bitmap file to programs
 like VFlib (that say that they can support bitmap files like .gf and .pk)
so, that these processed files can be used for printing and previewing
stuff.