[texhax] [solved] Conversion otf -> tfm and ttf -> tfm

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:16:11 CEST 2018

Sorry for doing a bit of a confusion and thanks again to Bob, Hironobu,
Herbert...  Converting .otf and .ttf into .tfm works now for me with
lcdf-typetools (Debian package) and the `otftotfm' command, run with `-e
texnansx' option so to have my latin accented vocals.  The only issue left (not
a big one) is that `updmap-user' does not seem to actually update the font
family when, e.g., adding new fonts but needs the `--force' option to do so.
If, instead of otftotfm, I run `autoinst', even `--force' is not sufficient and
I need removing the content of ~/texmf.  This is what I do:

 $ otftotfm -v VectoraLTStd -e texnansx -a Vectora-LT-Std-55-Roman_47552.ttf
 $ updmap-user -enable Map VectoraLTStd.map

This will create subdirs of ~/.texlive2018 with new files in them.  If I want
to add other fonts (Italic, etc) to the family, I have to run otftotfm over
each of them again and add the `--force' option to updmap.

To load the font, in plain TeX, simply

\font\myfont=VectoraLTStd-Roman--texnansx at 10 pt

{\myfont hallo}

Alternatively, one can run `autoinst' instead of `otftotfm':

 $ autoinst Vectora-LT-Std-55-Roman_47552.ttf
 $ updmap-user -enable Map VectoraLTStd.map

, but then subdirs are created under ~/texmf and, if I want to run autoinst
again (e.g. to add fonts to the family), I have to first delete the content of
~/texmf.

That's all...

Cheers,

Rodolfo