[texhax] undertilde and MiKTeX

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 29 00:33:04 CEST 2017

Ah, the mysteries of life!

But conversely on 29/10/17 02:07, Jerry wrote:

> Both are present.
>
> C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\generic\genmisc\undertilde.tex
> C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\undertilde\undertilde.sty

Is this apparent contradiction as mysterious to others as it is to me?

Thanks to Philip Taylor and Peter Wilson who both answered my cri de
coeur for a "conditional construction" to use the package undertilde.sty
if it's available and otherwise *input* undertilde.tex if *that* is
available.

However I haven't actually *tried* these suggestions, because David
Carlisle wrote:

> you could do that, but to be honest undertilde package is only 5 lines
> of code, so less than the code you would need to conditionally include
> it, it also has a few issues (the tilde always comes from the same
> (displaystyle) font, unlike \widetide if amsmath is loaded)
> I think it would be better just to put a (any) definition of under
> tilde directly in your class rather than have dependencies on packages
> not generally available.

Now why didn't *I* think of that?  (Because I'm a Bear of Very Little
Brain, I guess!)

Anyhow I'm going with David Carlisle's suggestion as being simplest
and most robust.

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS