[texhax] undertilde and MiKTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Oct 28 23:43:30 CEST 2017

On 2017-10-28 at 11:32:52 +1300, Rolf Turner wrote:

 > On 28/10/17 11:15, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > On 2017-10-28 at 10:05:51 +1300, Rolf Turner wrote:
 > >
 > >   > The journal of which I am Technical Editor provides a
 > >   > document class file which implements the style conventions
 > >   > that papers published in the journal must meet.
 > >   >
 > >   > This document class makes use of the "\undertilde" command.
 > >   > Apparently there are licensing issues with the undertilde
 > >   > package, and for this reason (I think) my installation of
 > >   > texlive has no undertilde.sty file, but rather a file
 > >   > undertilde.tex.  Explicitly:
 > >   >
 > >   >   /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/genmisc/undertilde.tex
 > >   >
 > >   > For *that* reason the document class file for the journal uses
 > >   >
 > >   >      \input{undertilde}
 > >   >
 > >   > rather than
 > >   >
 > >   >      \usepackage{undertilde}
 > >   >
 > >   > An author contacted me just now saying that he is getting an error
 > >   >
 > >   >      > File `undertilde.tex' not found. \input{undertilde}
 > >
 > > Did he install the file in his current working directory or somewhere
 > > else?
 >
 > The only file that he *installed* was the document class file
 > anzsauth.cls.  I'm pretty sure that he put it "in the right place".
 > MiKTeX is finding the document class file OK.  What it *can't* find
 > is undertilde.tex --- which should (???) be part of the MiKTeX
 > installation.

It seems to be a MiKTeX problem.  No problems with TeX Live.

  $ kpsewhich undertilde.tex
    /xopt/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/generic/genmisc/undertilde.tex

The log file generated by

  \documentclass{article}
  \input{undertilde.tex}
  \stop

contains the line

  (/xopt/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/generic/genmisc/undertilde.tex)

It seems that everything works as expected within TeX Live.  If it
doesn't work under MiKTeX, please file a bug report.

Does MiKTeX provide undertilde.tex at all?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de