[texhax] It works: enumerate problem

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 13 22:44:02 CEST 2017

I was going to post a question, but I tried one last thing and it worked.  In case anyone else ran into this, I thought it would be worth posting it.  Using the enumerate package, I had a list introduced by
\begin{enumerate}[$T_1$:]\setcounter{enumi}{1}
I wasn't sure it would work.  But it did, almost, until I got to item 16 (having jumped from \item 8) and it set it as $T_{1}6$, that is the six was not subscripted.  So I tried
\begin{enumerate}[$T_{1}$:]\setcounter{enumi}{1}
and that didn't work at all.  All the items got set with T_1.  I thought I would be reduced to doing it myself.  But on the principle of try anything, I tried, not expecting much
\begin{enumerate}[$T_\bgroup1\egroup$:]\setcounter{enumi}{1}
and guess what!

Some day, I might actually understand what goes on under the hood.

Michael