[texhax] trouble getting lists as I want them on beamer slides

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Thu Sep 22 22:17:47 CEST 2016

I'm running MikTeX 2.9 on Windows 7.

I am using the outlines package in a beamer document to easily create
nested bulletted lists. This has been my customary approach for years.

But in this case, I want the last slide to be smaller font, and without
the "bullets" that start each item. How can I accomplish this?

So far, trying various combinations of the outlines, enumitem, and
enumerate packages, I have had no success. See MWE below.

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan

\documentclass{beamer}
\usetheme{Warsaw}
\usepackage{Sweave}
\usepackage{outlines}

% toggle the below line on and off
% ON, I get the symbols I want at the start of each item on first slide
% but not the small font size I want on slides 2 and 3
% OFF, I get the font size I want on slides 2 and 3, but the ball
% symbols disappear from slide 1
% \usepackage{enumitem}

\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}

\begin{frame}
\frametitle{plain old bulleted list with outlines package}

\begin{outline}
\1 plain
\1 old
\2 nested
\3 list
\1 using begin \{outline\}
\end{outline}

\end{frame}

  \begin{frame}
   \frametitle{this list done with base LaTeX begin \{itemize\} }

% why does the below line affect only first-level items
in my itemized lists if enumitem is "off"?
\begin{tiny}

I want all the text on this slide to be small.  And I'd like to omit the
symbols at start of each item

   \begin{columns}

     \column{0.45\textwidth}

       \begin{itemize}

         \item Broome County Health Department
           \begin{itemize}
             \item one
             \item two
            \end{itemize}
         \item {Tompkins County Health Department}
           \begin{itemize}
             \item three
             \item four
          \end{itemize}
         \item {Cornell University}
           \begin{itemize}
             \item five
             \item six
           \end{itemize}
       \end{itemize}

     \column{0.45\textwidth}

        \begin{itemize}
         \item New York State Department of Health
           \begin{itemize}
             \item seven
             \item eight
           \end{itemize}
         \item Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
           \begin{itemize}
             \item nine
             \item ten
             \item eleven
           \end{itemize}
       \end{itemize}

  \end{columns}

\end{tiny}

\end{frame}

  \begin{frame}
   \frametitle{this list done with outlines package begin \{outline\} }

\begin{tiny}  % why does this not propagate to second-level items in my
itemized list?

I want all the text on this slide to be small.  And I'd like to omit the
symbols at start of each item

   \begin{columns}

     \column{0.45\textwidth}

       \begin{outline}

         \1 Broome County Health Department

             \2 one
             \2 two

         \1 {Tompkins County Health Department}

             \2 three
             \2 four

         \1 {Cornell University}

             \2 five
             \2 six

       \end{outline}

     \column{0.45\textwidth}

        \begin{outline}
         \1 New York State Department of Health

             \2 seven
             \2 eight

         \1 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

             \2 nine
             \2 ten
             \2 eleven

       \end{outline}