[texhax] A problem with dvips.

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Tue Oct 18 04:34:49 CEST 2016

On Sun, October 16, 2016 11:08 am, Karl Berry wrote:
>     psfig licenses are incompatible with the GPL,
>
> I know the problem here turned out to be something else, but I just felt
> I should state for the record that I removed psfig support from dvips
> not because its license was incompatible with the GPL (tons of stuff in
> TL is incompatible with the GPL; everything under the LPPL, for
> starters), but because psfig's license was *nonfree* -- a much worse
> situation.  -k

Is there any feature of psfig not supported by \includegraphics
(for LaTeX) or other? It would be good to convince hold-outs to
switch.

You "removed psfig support from dvips"? Do you mean you
eliminated interpretation of psfig-style \specials? That is
a bad idea! The syntax of the requests isn't bound by the
license, and other things use the same requests (starting
"ps:").  I recall some direct use of such \specials.

Donald Arseneau, TRIUMF CMMS, asnd at triumf.ca