[texhax] Make article title appear all in caps --- LaTeX

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jul 15 01:56:55 CEST 2016

On 15/07/16 01:51, Barbara Beeton wrote:

<SNIP>

> if there's any possibility of math
> being included in the title, then
> you want to avoid uppercasing that.

Thanks very much for pointing this out.  Article titles in ANZJS don't
*usually* contain any mathematical symbols.  In fact I had the vague
recollection that this was Journal *policy*, but I checked and could
find no indication of such a policy.

To guard against this possibility I added the line

    \@ifundefined{MakeTextUppercase}{}{\let\uppercasenonmath\altucnm}%

to the *.cls file and then replaced the "MakeUppercase" (that I had
inserted, following the suggestion made by David Carlisle) by
"MakeTextUppercase".

A bit of experimentation with introducing some mathematics into a title
indicates that this works.

<SNIP>

> the amsart.cls file does this.  this
> is on both ctan and tex live.  if you
> have the latter, texdoc amsclass will
> get you the full documented code.
> (it does also include code for amsbook,
> amsproc, and amsthm, so there's a lot
> to be ignored or sorted through.)
>
> look in particular for \@maketitle,
> \@settitle, and \uppercasenonmath .
>
>     Thanks for any constructive advice.
>
> hope this is useful.

Indeed.  I got the syntax for defining the MakeTextUppercase command by
following your suggestion.  Thanks very much.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P. S.  Please let me know if I've done anything stupid/perilous in
implementing my solution as described above.

R. T.

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics