[texhax] \underarc

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Sep 10 05:18:39 CEST 2015

On Dienstag, 08. September 2015 um 12:16 Uhr, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I want to put a small arc under a letter or a group of letters, like a smile.
> I see that `arcs' package can do what I want with the \underarc command; but
> don't know how to install and use it with plain TeX instead of LaTeX. Is it
> possibile, and how?

Maybe I did not deny this explicitly enough previously, while I wrote that
the `arcs' package heavily uses LaTeX's font selection scheme. But I thought
that NFSS can be loaded with plain TeX. More about something like this:

    http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-fonts-pln.html

which is too much for me. Still, you could not directly use the `arcs'
package, it has LaTeX commands like \newcommand and \symbol, and it
needs the `relsize' package which has commands like \DeclareRobustCommand.
Well, maybe after

    \def\newcommand#1[1]{\def#1}

and \DeclareRobustCommand likewise -- and \def\symbol#1{\char#1} ...
you can load arcs.sty. For me it is not obvious.

\bye,

    Uwe.