[texhax] Page layout

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon May 25 12:24:33 CEST 2015

at 2015-05-24 12:32 +02:00, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> I am looking for a package, or method of laying out
> a grid on a page

Packages for "typesetting on a grid" I know of are
grid, ltxgrid, gridset, and grid-system. That is,

    http://ctan.org/pkg/grid

    http://ctan.org/pkg/ltxgrid

    http://ctan.org/pkg/gridset

    http://ctan.org/pkg/grid-sytem

However, we may be misunderstanding each other.
Those packages address the requirement that the
baselines of "ordinary" lines (not necessarily
on a page section titles or math displays) appear
on a grid of lines on a page that have a fixed
vertical distance between each other and from
the top of the paper.

> so that I can be sure that everything I place on
> the page is spaced and positioned correctly.

So you seem to think that (a) "correct" placement
and spacing requires "typesetting on a grid" and
(b) "typesetting on a grid" ensures "correct"
placement and spacing.

(b) is clearly wrong, as controlling *vertical*
placement of baselines has nothing to do with
"correct" *horizontal* placement and spacing
-- agreed?

And (a) is very strict, it would mean that in
almost all books made with LaTeX or other TeX
formats, placement and spacing is "wrong".
So I would not hold (a) -- do *you*?
If not, your lines that seem to intend explaining
"grid" do not fulfill such a purpose, and I am not
sure what exactly you mean.

Best,

    Uwe