[texhax] First reply: Forward (second email among two ones): will to buy the lastest version of TeXLive, but without two technical problems, remainder.

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Mar 2 21:38:14 CET 2015

Dear Mister Perret,

Yves Perret wrote at 2015-03-02 14:36:
> We notice that the «xdvi.log» file was not found beforehand and that
> after its creation, the latter is empty !.
>> xdvi ... | tee xdvi.log

other list readers like Bill or you are more experienced with
Unixities than I am. Other possible attempts:

3. xdvi ... > xdvi.log 2>&1

4. With some Unixes -- I know it from Lubuntu, may work
   with Xubuntu -- you can copy text from the terminal
   -- mark it by the mouse, then Ctrl-Shift-C -- and
   paste it into the posting.

5. Post a screenshot of the terminal window with the xdvi run.
   (Some screenshotters can take the window without the rest.)

I doubt that I can fix the problem, other readers of the
list are more experienced with fonts, especially Helvetica.
However, often they only look at the matter when a description
of the problem and material such as code or log output is
easily available from the posting.

The font may be not properly installed, or called in a wrong way.

Maybe already the TeX run .log announces problems with Helvetica.

Under Xubuntu, Evince can read .dvi as well.

Maybe something helps

 -- Uwe Lueck.