[texhax] typesetting Legendre symbols

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 22:33:42 CEST 2015

In LaTeX the amsmath package's command \genfrac
is sometimes used to spawn Legendre symbols as
with

\newcommand{\legendre}[2]{\genfrac{(}{)}{}{}{#1}{#2}}

The parentheses created with this strike me as fitting
somewhat better for the purpose of a Legendre symbol than
those created by using \left(\frac{}{}\right).

However, in math display style I would prefer the rule to be
a bit thicker than with a normal fraction (which one can
arrange with \genfrac) and also somewhat longer to the
extent that it almost fills the space that is otherwise
within the parentheses provided by \genfrac used as above,
which one cannot arrange using \genfrac.

Can anyone point me to something ready-made for this
purpose?

                              -- Bill

Email: hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
       gellmu at gmail.com