[texhax] 365 KB .tex file makes 5.95GB .pdf

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Oct 31 12:16:06 CET 2014

I don't need to know about the resolution of the images, I need to:

 - check to see if the ad file exists
 - get the dimensions of the ad's trim box
 - compare the physical size of the ad to its booked size using a lookup
table
 - add a line to a table w/ the results

TeX was the only tool which allowed me to do _all_ of those things w/ a
single tool.

A CLI tool which reports on physical ad size still has to be supported by a
bunch of other tools and adds a lot of overhead.

The only (minor) problem w/ using TeX is that it embeds the .pdf for each
ad even though it's never used, only measured --- is there a way to release
that memory?

William