[texhax] 365 KB .tex file makes 5.95GB .pdf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Oct 30 22:59:56 CET 2014

On 2014-10-30 at 08:34:45 -0400, William Adams wrote:

 > On Oct 29, 2014, at 1:39 PM, William F Hammond wrote:
 >
 > > ImageMagick's "identify" will provide the pixel size of an image.
 > >
 > > I never understood if there is a definitive way to go from there
 > > to, say, basis points, but in a given context I simply experiment
 > > with a single example to find a conversion factor.
 >
 > Which would be fine if they were all pixel images of a known
 > ppi/resolution.
 >
 > They're not, they're arbitrary .pdfs of ads --- I need to determine
 > the physical / print size and evaluate it.

pdftex assumes 72 dpi by default.  See below.  \pdfimageresolution is
described in the manual.

I'm sure that you get the physical size in inch if you divide the
output of "identify" by 72.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 $ pdftex '\relax\nonstopmode\showthe\pdfimageresolution\bye'
 This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded format=pdftex)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
 entering extended mode

 > 72.
 <*> \relax\nonstopmode\showthe\pdfimageresolution
                                                 \bye
 (see the transcript file for additional information)
 No pages of output.
 Transcript written on texput.log.

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de