[texhax] Visually Impaired

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 19:38:10 CET 2014

Clifford Weil <weil at math.msu.edu> writes:

> ... They would like to know if there is a facility to make
> the output of a LaTeX file understandable by the visually
> impaired?

(This is a marginal topic for me.)

Overall, I think the idea is to translate LaTeX to HTML and
use HTML tools for the visually disabled.  In this the
handling of math is critical.  I'm marginally aware of work
done by the tex4ht folk and by Design Science.

Here are some google search strings I would recommend:

(1) site:dessci.com visually impaired

(2) tex4ht visually impaired

This article by two visually impaired students may be useful:
"LaTeX: What Is It and Why Do We Need It?"
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr31/2/fr310212.htm

                              -- Bill

Email: hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
       gellmu at gmail.com