[texhax] What is an "smb:" link, why is \verb| ... | creating it, and how do I stop it?

ghaverla ghaverla at materialisations.com
Sat May 17 02:41:34 CEST 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 18:32:33 -0600
Douglas McKenna <doug at mathemaesthetics.com> wrote:

> Gord wrote:
>
> > Windows NT had a network file system.  I think the original name
> > for it in M$ speak was SMB (Server Message Block).  Open Source
> > tried to work with that, and the project most known in this regard
> > is Samba (note it has s m and b, in that order).  I think M$ then
> > renamed this to be CIFS.  In any event, it is a filesystem which
> > can be addressed as a formal protocol, largely because of the work
> > the Samba project has done over they years.  It is a bit of a
> > moving target, even today.
>
> According to the Wikipedia page posted earlier in this thread, "smb"
> stands for "System Message Block".

I agree with "whatever".  I am going from memory on this, not looking
it up at the Wikipedia page someone referred you to.  I think at one
time S stood for Server.  Maybe today it stands for spaghetti?  :-)

> Whatever.  I understand what's going on now and am glad it has nothing
> to do with LaTeX's verbatim environment.  Thinking it had something
> to do with LaTeX I tried searching the web for the combination of
> "smb" and "LaTeX", which of course found nothing useful, leaving me
> very confused (and I get easily confused :-).

Some PDF readers understand these protocols, and some don't.  I work on
Linux, and I find okular (a KDE viewer for PDF) works very well with
PDFs produced by pdflatex.  The other PDF viewer I occasionally use is
Evince (a Gnome viewer).  Cut and paste of tables in okular used to
scramble things, and Evince used to work properly.  As I haven't cut
and pasted a table from PDF lately, I don't know if this is still true.

Gord