[texhax] tug and mavericks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 30 17:22:36 CEST 2014

On Mar 29, 2014, at 9:12 PM, Neuberger, John <jwn at unt.edu> wrote:

> TUG,
>  My wife and I are avid TEX users.  We share three Macs.  On one
> Apple installed Mavericks during a recent visit to Apple store.  Have
> tried to recover my TEXShop setup, which has been working fine
> for years (have written two mathematics books using TEX).
>  Am looking for advice and am willing to join TUG but hope would
> not have to join three times, once for each computer.
>  Hope you can give me some advice.  Have always managed in the
> past to install TEXshop as front end and TEXLive or another platform
> underneath.  When I try to do this on our Mavericks, I get a message
> that I must use Apple Installer and don't know how to do this.
>  Regards and thanks,
>  John Neuberger
>  Emeritus Professor, University of North Texas

Howdy,

Major OS upgrades all too often remove some files, possibly change some permissions and may even remove some symbolic links installed by the TeX Distribution.

How old is your TeX distribution? Was it installed with a MacTeX installer or Fink/MacPorts? Do you use a Front End to typeset your documents or do you use the Command Line? What do the following five commands return

ls -alF /

ls -alF /usr

ls -alF /usr/local

which pdflatex

echo $PATH

when executed in Terminal?

If your distribution is a fairly new TeX Live installed using the MacTeX.pkg installer package you should find a FixMacTeX201X.pkg file (X is the last year number of the MacTeX installed). Please first try to install that package (simply double click the file and follow the instructions).

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)