[texhax] Greek letters relatively too large

Dr A K Hannaby keith_hannaby at mathshelp.com
Wed Mar 12 19:07:34 CET 2014

Tug

Using amsbook and packages: txfonts, times and mathptmx, when I call for a
Greek letter like \alpha in mathmode, I get a character which is
considerably larger (about 107%) than the companion Arabic characters.

I only need four of five characters: alpha, beta, theta, phi, lambda, so I
tried the trick below which works for reducing the minus sign - but it fails
for the letters.

Well it does seem to work in that in gains the reduction, but produces all
sorts of errors.

\newcommand{\minus}{\scalebox{0.75}[1.0]{$-$}} works OK

\newcommand{\myalpha}{\scalebox{0.94}[0.94]{$\alpha$}} does reduce, but
causes errors.

Any ideas, please?

Keith