[texhax] Word "chapter" appears in front of lists of figures and tables in TOC

bnb at ams.org bnb at ams.org
Tue Jan 28 20:09:46 CET 2014

    Using MiKTeX 2.9 and TechniC Center

probably irrelevant.

    I attach a minimal file which is as small as I can get it, while keeping
    all the required working elements.

it's really difficult to get around
all the packages that are loaded.

    In the ToC, the word "chapter" appears in front of the list of figures and
    list of tables;  i.e. "Chapter List of figures" and "Chapter List of Tables"

    Also, instead of getting "Appendix A", I am getting "Chapter A" in the
    appendices list.

i think these are all related.
here's what i did to get rid of these
problems, plus one which you didn't
mention -- an error because you loaded
  \usepackage{makeidx)
it's well documented that this package is
not needed with amsbook because amsbook
already incorporates the basic indexing
facilities.  get rid of it.

regarding the lines inserted in the toc
with \addtocontents, these are at least
part of what it causing the trouble.  you
need only the one that adds the \newpage.

by trying to change the \chaptername *in*
the toc, you are already too late.  instead,
just before the line
  \chapter{This is appendix A
add the line
  \renewcommand{\chaptername}{Appendix}