[texhax] printing multiple indices

A Emery emery at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 23 21:14:05 CET 2014

I am trying to print the default index and a names index using the
following script that I found at
  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=multind

  I get the default index printed twice, only the header for the names
index, and in the body of the document the entries of the \index{names}
is displayed, i.e. the document is

this is a test of using multi indices
1st entry into names index=Author 1
2nd entry into names index=Author 2
Two entries have been added, 1 to each index
3rd entry into names index=Author 2
test of adding a name

In the default index I get all of the entries plus a last entry of
names,  1

and where I expect the names index to appear I get the single line
namestitle=Names

\documentclass{book}

\usepackage{index}
\makeindex
\newindex{names}{idx}{ind}{Name Index}

\begin{document}
this is a test of using multi indices
\index{1st entry into default index=Book 1}
\index{names}{1st entry into names index=Author 1}
\index{2nd entry into default index=Book 2}
\index{names}{2nd entry into names index=Author 2}

Two entries have been added, 1 to each index

\index{3rd entry into default index=Book 2}
\index{names}{3rd entry into names index=Author 2}

\index{names}{test of adding a name}
\index{double check}

\printindex
\printindex{names}{title=Names}