[texhax] proTeXt on Win 8.1 64 bit

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Oct 27 18:08:06 CET 2013

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 12:40:01 -0400
Murray Eisenberg articulated:

> I think you’re right: proTeXt doesn’t say whether it’s 64-bit.
>
> However, proTeXt is just a means of bundling together an actual TeX
> distribution, namely, MiKTeX, the TeXnicCenter front end, and
> GhostScript. If you download the self-extracting protext.exe file and
> examine its archive contents, you’ll discover that it includes the
> 64-bit installer for MiKTeX, to which you alluded.
>
> If you want to use the TeXnicCenter front end for MiKTeX, you can
> then directly download a 64-bit version of TeXnicCenter. And it’s not
> easy to directly download and install the 64-bit version of MiKTeX.
>
> You may wish, however, to substitute for TeXnicCenter a different
> editor , e.g., the powerful WinEdt (which works nicely with either
> MiKTeX or TeXLive), which is 64-bit.
>
> However, so far as I can see, for Windows the TeXStudio front end is
> only 32-bits.

I found this on a blog while I was investigating proTeXT, "Update: The
current proTeXt actually contains TeXstudio as an editor, and not
TeXnicCenter anymore, but that information hasn't even reached all of
their own web sites yet." I can not confirm if that is true or just a
lot of crap, Do you have a definitive answer regarding that statement?

Also, will TeXstudio 32bit will work correctly with a 64bit MiKTeX? I
have had problems in the past, specifically using MySQL and mixing 32
and 64 bit applications.

-- Jerry ♔