[texhax] What program can I use to edit TeX files?

Shubho Roy shubho.roy85 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 16:04:29 CET 2013

I have tried using TeX on windows and then had to shift to linux. I
understand many will not have the freedom to choose their operating system
at work. I found that many windows editors would insert hidden characters
in tex files. Collaborating with persons on Windows became a problem.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 23.03.2013, 05:11 -0400 schrieb Jerry:
> > On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 02:45:05 +0100
> > Reinhard Kotucha articulated:
> > > On 2013-03-22 at 07:24:24 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> > >  > On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 02:05:06 +0100
> > >  > Reinhard Kotucha articulated:
> > >  > > BTW, it's strange to see that if someone doesn't mention the OS
> > >  > > he's using, everybody assumes that it's Windows.  And even after
> > >  > > you mentioned MacTeX, people suggested to install Windows
> > >  > > binaries.  Sigh!  When will Windows users grok that they are not
> > >  > > alone in the universe?
> > >  >
> > >  > No, not alone, but they do occupy 90% of it therefore assuming a
> > >  > Win/32/64 environment is going to be right the majority of the
> > >  > time.
> > >
> > > Don't know where your "90%" comes from.
> > >
> > > At our local TeX meeting in Hannover there are abt. 10 attendees.
> > > Only one of them is using Windows, one is using OS X, everybody else
> > > is using Linux.
> > >
> > > Sorry, I'm not religious.  I only believe in what I can see.  And I
> > > see that only 10% of the TeX users are using Windows.
> >
> > You are using the statistics for a single program. I was referring to
> > the fact that 90% of all PC users, use Windows as their primary
> > environment.
>
> Just about statistics: for guessing ("estimating" mathematically)
> a poster's OS on the present list, the statistics for that single
> program are relevant.
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Uwe.

Shubho Roy
National Institute of Public Finance and Policy
18/2 Satsang Vihar Marg,
Special Institutional Area,
New Delhi 110067.
[Near JNU East Gate]