[texhax] typset mistranslates the anglbrackets

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 19:02:00 CET 2013

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> . . .
> Unknown in Plain TeX; is it possible that these names
> are provided only by a format or package ?
> . . .

I neither use nor recommend plain, but for plain I see
several approaches, particularly for the question of how
wide the brackets are.  I think the linguistic example mentioned
might be handled with use of \tt for each linguistic object.

This is plain:

\def\lt{{\tt <}}
\def\gt{{\tt >}}
\def\ltm{{$<$}}
\def\gtm{{$>$}}
\def\ltb{{$\langle$}}
\def\gtb{{$\rangle$}}
\vskip 25mm
\centerline{\bf ascii less-than}
\vskip 12mm

I can put {\tt <whatever>} in angle brackets inside a tt zone.

With \lt{}whatever\gt{} only the brackets are tt.

This is \ltm{}whatever\gtm{} using the math gambit.

And this \ltb{}whatever\gtb{} uses math with langle, rangle.

\end

                              -- Bill