[texhax] typset mistranslates the anglbrackets

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Mar 18 22:28:02 CET 2013

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Phil, if 'plain' is not mentioned explicitely, I have to assume that
> it's about TeX in general, including LaTeX. ;)

Well, that is a moot point.  Does TeX include LaTeX ?  I would
argue not.  If someone says "How do I achieve X in TeX", I think
it is reasonable to assume that he or she means TeX, and not
LaTeX; if, on the other hand, they were to ask "How do I achieve
X in LaTeX", then clearly LaTeX is the Universe of Discourse
and not TeX.

> Maurice, I don't know why you need < and > in ordinary text.  These
> symbols make only sense in math formulas, as far as I can see.  And
> for typesetting XML or HTML typewriter fonts are preferable.

In books on linguistics (such as Quirk), <Am.E> and <Br.E> are
regularly recurring terms.

** Phil.