[texhax] letterspaceadjust package

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sun Mar 10 23:27:01 CET 2013

Hi all,

after giving a talk at the recent DANTE meeting in Hannover, I made a
small package that might help improve typesetting in very narrow columns
using LuaLaTeX.
The packages code inserts a small amount of stretchable space between
all glyphs (not only words) and in combination with the microtype
package results often in a more even, less spaced-out typesetting. As
the whole this is quite experimental, I'd be very happy to have some
alpha-testers who would check the code and see how stable everything is
in everyday usage.
The package and documentation is available at:

https://github.com/alt/letterspaceadjust

I would be very thankful for any testing, comments and suggestions, and
hope that a stable version of this package could increase the quality of
narrow column typesetting a bit.

The original idea and a large part of the implementation of the code
came from Paul Isambert:

http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2011-October/018372.html

cheers
Arno