[texhax] [Re: The details of \csname] TeX Live binaries documentation

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Mar 1 15:19:16 CET 2013

Am Freitag, den 01.03.2013, 13:39 +0200 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:36:50PM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> > What are you missing?
>
> A brain?

The most brilliant minds contribute to this list.

Anyway, Joel Salomon helped me to find words for a feeling of
unhappiness with the TeX Live documentation: I read pages
of a TOC in order to find a single entry that is not obviously
irrelevant for me. Put roughly, I am happy with my TeX
installation, so it would be nice to find something on "using"
TeX Live rather than "installing" something. Of course, I am
not looking for TeX or LaTeX documentation, but for what is
specific with TeX Live.

I have now seen the man pages for TeX Live commands, they are
fine for me. What I perhaps "miss" is a list of TeX Live
binaries with one-line descriptions -- that I can find without
digging through a list of hundred links on other subjects.

The section "Extensions to TeX" is a kind of first steps towards
such a list. There is an instance of confusion for me when the
command "etex" is mentioned in the description item for
PdfTeX, while the description item for e-TeX does not mention
a TeX Live command for invoking e-TeX.

In this respect, I am saying that the documentation is
not "complete", something is "missing". But even if the
documentation does describe "using" TeX Live, it needs
so much effort to find that that I have sometimes
given up quickly.

I had found texlive-en.pdf when I googled for
"list of TeX Live binaries", but I did not find a list of
TeX Live binaries -- apart from file lists from Linux
distributions, such lists don't help anything.

With "info" (Linux), I get a list including only a few
list of binaries with one-line descriptions. On the web,
there are lists of Unix commands with one-line descriptions,
such as

    http://ss64.com/bash/

This is alphabetical, the German Wikipedia has a smaller
list ordered by subjects:

    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-Kommandos

Variants of this just for TeX Live commands would be nice.

It is not urgent, I have "used" TeX Live successfully and happily
without any documentation, by trial and error. I just started
to think about "wishes" about TeX Live documentation after some
contributors had behaved as if I had criticized the TeX Live
documentation, and after the mentioned idea for "words" for
such criticism.

 -- Uwe.