[texhax] The details of \csname, in this specific case

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Mar 1 09:57:59 CET 2013

Am Donnerstag, den 28.02.2013, 23:36 +0100 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> On 2013-02-28 at 22:28:07 +0100, Uwe Lück wrote:
>
>  > Am Dienstag, den 26.02.2013, 17:31 -0500 schrieb Joel C. Salomon:
>  > > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:
>  > > > Thanks, great to learn. I dared to look at the fucking TeX Live manual
>  > >
>  > > There's your problem; read the manual on *using* TeX Live instead.
>  >
>  > You are very right: I have (sometimes) tried to find documentation
>  > of how to *use* TeX Live, but somehow I couldn't. What I find is
>  > rather about how installation works. I have not needed such information
>  > for getting results that I have been happy with. I have tried
>  > "pdflatex", "latex", and "tex", fine, but why?
>  > (I need not know urgently.)
>  >
>  > Can YOU tell me? Does "the" manual contain something about
>  > "using" TeX Live, or is there a different manual on *using* TeX Live?
>  > (Two possible interpretations of your hint.)
>
> Uwe, don't be silly.

Aha.

> TeX Live is a TeX distribution and the manual describes in detail
> everything one has to know in order to install and use this
> distribution.
>
> However, if you don't know how to use pdflatex, latex, or tex, consult
>
>   http://tug.org/begin.html
>
> The TeX Live Guide already has a link to this URL on page 3.  What are
> you missing?

This is too much. Maybe when I read the page word by word and
try many klicks, I will find an overview of what TeX Live's
binaries tex, etex, pdftex, pdfetex do (what engine they use).
Actually, the purpose of begin.html cannot be explaining TeX Live.
I am not a beginner, you know, I have specific questions about
TeX live. It seems to me that your hint real nonsense.

You seem to have a bias to misunderstand me and to send mails
that miss the point and so are not helpful, so exchanging mails
makes little sense.

-- Uwe.