[texhax] Using XeTeX to select fonts

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Jan 29 21:47:08 CET 2013

Now something about the original posting:

Am Sonntag, den 27.01.2013, 14:21 -0800 schrieb Clint Olsen:
> I apologize if this isn't the correct forum.

This is the correct forum for anything about TeX.

> I'm interested in experimenting with TeX and
> selecting fonts from my Mac. My understanding
> is that if you don't want the LaTeX macro support,
> you are supposed to use XeTeX.

On a Mac, I have never tried TeX. Anyway, the last
sentence surprises me very much. I believe that even
on a Mac, you can use Plain TeX or ConTeXt (Mark II)
with pdfTeX. Or are you saying that pdfTeX doesn't
work at all on a Mac? Or perhaps you are saying that
you insist on "Hoefler Text". Be it a Mac or whatever,
it may need special aptitude to turn an arbitrary
OpenType font into a font that pdfTeX can process.

> I found the fontspec article that explains how you
> do this.

What fontspec article? I have looked at the fontspec
documentation. fontspec is a package for LaTeX.
I cannot find anything in the documentation about
using any TeX engine without LaTeX.

> I am able to select fonts easily using
> something of the form:
>
> \font\hoefler="Hoefler Text"
> \hoefler

Interesting, the quotation marks, especially.
-- Maybe you have tried to refer to the XeTeX FAQ
(i.e., confused it with some "fontspec article")

   http://scripts.sil.org/xetex_faq

that indeed mentions the XeTeX version of the Plain format,
xetex.fmt. Something there may help you -- with your
rather pioneering research.

Cheers,

    Uwe.