[texhax] Differentiating sentences in a paragraph

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Jan 18 15:31:56 CET 2013

On Jan 18, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> I cannot see why one would /want/ to remove the additional
> space at end-of-sentence.  A book (or text) is for /reading/,
> not for admiring as a pattern of black and white.  To my
> eye, the end of sentence space, being functional, adds to
> the aesthetics of the work; remove the additional space,
> and the document looks too crowded.

To me, a page w/ extra space after sentence-ending periods all-too-often looks like it's full of random holes, as if someone peppered it w/ a shotgun.

It's even worse in the DTP world where the typical way for people to do this is to put double spaces, which is _way_ too much.

I wouldn't object to it so much if there were a sensible way in a typical DTP app to set the spacing of double-spaces to something reasonable as TeX does.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer