[texhax] Differentiating sentences in a paragraph

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Thu Jan 17 01:52:31 CET 2013

Someone asked me today "what the rule is about trailing spaces
after a sentence ending period".  In formatted text, I just
assumed the space should be bigger.  In (LaTeX or other) source,
it can be entirely different.

My original assumption was M$ had made some arbitrary decision,
and everybody is following the M$ wag.  Wikipedia had an
interesting article on this, and it seems M$ isn't to blame for
this.  But in the article, is a text fragment like:

  ... better than I.  P. Jones has said that ...

And following the 1 space rule, that fragment is ambiguous.

In terms of source documents, a long time ago someone had
recommended that all sentences end in a newline, and that
lines be limited to something in the 60-76 character range.

  The first sentence.
  A really, really, ....
  really long second sentence.

If one forces themselves to do that (I never looked to see if
anything like tidy exists for LaTeX source), it isn't hard to find
end of sentence in LaTeX source.

Sure, in a UTF-8 world, there could be a special end-of-sentence
chracter and a special end-of-paragraph character.  Heck, there
probably is.  But is 2 spaces after a sentence ending period a
problem to remove (often contrived) ambiguities?

Thanks.

Gord